Monday, July 23, 2007

Borders "Party" Disappointing, but Harry Potter Book Exciting











My wonderful friend Allyson agreed to go to the Torrance Borders "biggest Harry Potter party around" on Friday night. Borders promised a 15 foot snake cake, which I never saw, a life size checker board, which amounted to red tape on the carpet, and books at midnight, which I didn't purchase until 1:30 a.m. I felt bad for dragging my good friend there, after promising so much excitement, but I was glad to have checked out one of the "midnight madness" parties since I don't foresee another book release party happening in the next decade (this is the last Harry Potter book, of course). We agreed that it was a cool thing to be taking place over a book, not a movie or video game. One cool moment occurred when the staff rolled out a ceiling-high stack of boxes wrapped in black paper, and everyone oohed and aahed, "Those are the books!" and starting snapping photos (I couldn't pull my camera fast enough to catch it). I've not yet finished reading the novel, partly because I want to take it slow because its the last Harry Potter. (Though I'm thinking of re-reading the series after I'm done with this one).

No comments: