Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Starbuck's Boycott


So, I'm kind of annoyed at Starbuck's right now. I get a lot of Starbuck's cards from my students throughout the year, and I was thinking about putting them all together to buy an espresso machine. I saw one on sale for $250 at a local store. I brought my cards to a store to figure out how much money I had to work with. One of the cards (pictured here) my student bought for $25 did not register as having any funds on it, and I had just pulled it from the packaging. I called the 1-800-STARBUC phone number to inquire, and Starbuck's central could tell it was purchased from a local Safeway and never activated by the Safeway personnel. They could not activate it, though. They told me I had to give it back to the gift giver to take to the store to activate. I obviously can't do that, and I don't think any person who received a gift can either. Starbuck's offered to send me some "complimentary drink certificates," which I declined since they won't help me purchase my espresso machine. I don't think I'm going to get that machine at Starbuck's; the $30 one at Target is looking more attractive now. Maybe I'll give my stack of cards to charity or something.

No comments: